Unlike most of the pest population, bees are an important, contributing member of society. In fact, bees are one of the most important reasons humans can live on this earth. Bees are the primary pollinators of flowers. When you think of flowers, do you only consider the beautiful tulips, roses, mums, and lilies found in a flower garden? There are also flowers found in vegetable gardens, fruit orchards, and other sources of food.When a food plant flowers during its life cycle, a bee’s job is to pollinate the flower so it will develop into the pumpkin, apple, or peach it was destined to be. Without the pollination from the bee, the flower would die out and not produce food for human consumption–not to mention all of the sweet, delicious honey they produce!
Bees are an important part of human life, but that doesn’t change the fact that it can be a bit disconcerting to have a hive of bees in the areas you are also occupying.
Types of Bees
When it comes to a bee problem in your home, it is helpful to understand what type of bee has occupied your space. Many homeowners believe they have a swarm of bumblebees to take care of when it is a carpenter bee problem instead. To better understand the difference, consider the following facts:
- Unlike the distinctive yellow-and-black pattern of bumblebees, carpenter bees are almost all black and don’t have hair.
- Male carpenter bees don’t have a stinger.
- Bumblebees live in colonies in a hive, while carpenter bees, true to their name bore holes in your home or property to make nests. They prefer unpainted or otherwise untreated wood.
- If you hear bees buzzing around in the walls of your home, they are almost always carpenter bees. Bumblebees generally don’t nest in homes.
- Carpenter bees hibernate during the winter. Thus, you will notice an increase in activity in the spring.
Consult a Professional
Although a male carpenter bee doesn’t sting, a female carpenter bee does when provoked and bumblebees certainly sting if they feel threatened. Don’t make the mistake of trying to rid your home of bees, whether carpenter or honey, and get stung in the process. Call the professionals at Critter Control of West Palm Beach to help you with bee removal today.